Monday, January 21, 2008

shadowplay



this is bello. bello is rachel's cat, who along with this cat, bert:



have broken me in, and realized that i needed to get a cat.

i never really liked cats. for years i've been an adamant dog person, promoting canines as the superior companion, that their unconditional loyalty and protective qualities were really man's best friend. cats, as far i was concerned, were useless, fussy, tempremental, boney, fragile things with claws and accompanied a particular type of owner (i was also kind of scared of them for all these reasons, true or untrue). never, ever, ever would i have thought that i would be cleaning up my apartment, as if preparing for a new baby, to welcome a cat into my home, my life.

what changed? maybe it's because i'm getting older. maybe, in my very young twenties, tempting the idea (hormonally) of motherhood, i feel i need to take care of something. or, maybe i nee something in my life to smother with my runoff affections. or because they're cute. or because i need more obligation/responsbility in my life. i think all of these reasons are true.

i never thought of myself as "feline," but maybe i'm turning over a new leaf. this year, i know, is going to be full of transitions (serious and not), so perhaps it marks a milestone. rachel told me she got bello exactly when she was my age, and he has travelled all around the country with her. although i don't plan (or know, rather) if i will be travelling the country, it's a start, as i uh, travel down the road of life. or something.

1 comment:

Annie Wang said...

don't ever try to drive more than two hours with an un sedated cat. NOT FUN. MISS YOUUUUUUUUUU